If you’re a restaurant or caterer looking for a truly celebratory & delicious feast, consider utilizing our pork! This scrumptious porcine dining experience is not to be missed. Contact us (707) 272-5477 for availability.
NEW ! Bay Area – purchase our Berk Shares and Mini Berk Shares on Good Eggs
Berkshire Pigs – Distinctive Heritage Pork
Mendocino Organics is pleased to offer heritage Berkshire pork. Our pork is darker, juicier, more marbled, and more flavorful than the intensively-raised commercial pork you usually find in the grocery store. Once you taste this pork, you will understand why it is growing in popularity everywhere.
Rest assured that our animals are raised with care, and NO antibiotics, meat-based proteins, growth hormones, synthetics or artificial additives. Our pigs receive ample rangeland to roam and are fed no GMO grains. Currently, we feed them local grain soaked in whey from Pennyroyal Farm, certified-organic feed, and vegetable waste from our organic fields. As they roam the oak woodland of Heart Arrow Ranch, they enjoy scrumptious acorns and forage. In addition to the fresh air and exercise, a balanced diet makes the Berkshires healthy and happy.
The Berkshire pigs we raise are sourced from a herd registered with the American Berkshire Association as 100% Pure Berkshire Pork®.
More about Berkshire Pigs
These black hogs with white areas on their feet, snout and tail are one of the oldest identifiable breeds. They were first documented in the English “shire of Berks” over 350 years ago and are thought to have come to this country in 1823.
Berkshires marble well so the meat is naturally quite juicy and tasty with great texture. Many chefs like the nice edge of light fat and marbling giving
superior flavor throughout the meat. Because they are slower growing, and don’t perform well in confinement, Berkshires are not found in the consolidated pork industry.
You may purchase a whole or half pig, or buy a Berk Share.
Whole or Half – Heritage Berkshire Pork
- A half pig is about 75 lb. cut and wrapped,but the actual weight will vary. In your order, you will indicate your cutting instructions.
- Pricing: $7.00/lb. cut and wrapped(At roughly 75 lb., a half pig will cost roughly $525. Smoking cost is not included.)
- Berk Shares consist of 25 lb. of cut and wrapped pork, ready for your freezer.
- Each share is a mix of chops (6 lb), shoulder cuts (5 lb), ham (4 lb), ground pork (6 lb), and bacon (4 lb).
- There are 2 types of Berk Shares you can choose from:
- Fresh Berk Share – no smoked meats, just fresh cuts. $200
- Smoked Berk Share – includes smoked baconand ham. (We only use natural nitrates for smoking.) $225
Give us a call if you have questions. (707) 272-5477
You can also find select retail cuts of our pork at Ukiah Natural Foods Co-op in the frozen meat section.