Need some cooking inspiration? Looking for a hearty, meaty dish to warm your belly and nourish your body this winter? Try this!
- 2 lb Ground Beef (preferably Mendocino Organics grass-fed beef)
- 6 to 8 slices of bread, cut up into tiny crumbs
- 2 eggs (preferably farm fresh)
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce or ketchup (preferably sauce from Mendocino Organics tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- (optional) a few slices of bacon (preferably Mendocino Organics Berkshire bacon)
Set your oven to 400°F.
With your hands, mix all the ingredients except for seasoning in a large bowl. The goal is to not over mix it; you knead it with your fingers and want it kind of chunky. Sprinkle the seasoning on top while mixing. To make the loaf, on a clean flat surface, firm together all the sides with your hands so that there are no air pockets in the loaf. You should be able to “slick” the top of the loaf with your hand, so it’s slippery. Optional: lay a few slices of bacon across the top of the loaf.
Place the loaf in a oven-safe dish and cover the top with foil. Bake the loaf for 30-40 minutes (we forget how long it took us), until it is 150°F inside. Let it cool for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.